Libby

Personal Project: A UX REDESIGN Case Study

Libby Hero Image.png
 

Background

Libby is a digital media mobile application created by the digital distribution powerhouse, OverDrive, Inc. At its core, Libby hosts all digital content for hundreds of public libraries across the country. Although the rise of Libby has brought the library system into the 21st century, there are ways in which this app can still be improved.

 
 
 

The Challenge

Launch into a UX redesign for Libby, a mobile app hosting a digital media platform utilized by local libraries, to increase overall engagement.

My Role

User Research/ UX Design/ Content Strategy


Final Result


The Design Process

PERSONA

I started by creating a predictive persona, one who fits my understanding of who the target audience for Libby is comprised of.

 
iPhone 8 Copy.png
 
 
 

USER STORIES

I wanted to explore the various contexts by which individuals may be engaging with the Libby app. I wanted to understand their motivations to better understand what features may best serve them. 

 
 
 
 
IMG_4396.JPG
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

GUERILLA USABILITY TESTING

With my user stories fresh in hand, along with a thorough understanding of Libby's core features, I created three scenarios, each comprised of a series of tasks. One of which was the following:

You’ve been reading so much these days and reviewing so many suggested reading lists that you just want to keep track of all the titles coming your way. Please add a book of your choosing to a list of your own.

Having cemented down my scenarios, I interviewed 5 users and began to synthesize my baseline data.

 

IDENTIFYING PAIN POINTS

Once completing the guerilla usability testing, I noted each participant's perceived pain point on a Post-It. I then proceeded to prioritize the pain points by using a 2 x 2 diagram.

 
 
 
P2P Affinity Mapping copy.jpg
P2P 2x2.jpg
 
 

Synthesis of the first round of usability testing resulted in the following findings:

 
Pholiyo 0_5 Data.png

users could identify the designated home button

 
Pholiyo 2_5 Data.png

users were able to save a title for future use

 
 

TASK FLOW

I created two task flows: one to show the ideal way by which a user can add a title to a list and one to show the actual way by which users were adding a title to a list. 

 
 
The ideal flow. Isn't it beautiful?

The ideal flow. Isn't it beautiful?

 
 
The... actual flow (pre-prototype).

The... actual flow (pre-prototype).

 
 

PROTOTYPING

After completing a number of UI sketches with pen and paper, I turned to Sketch to create my mockup and Marvel to complete my clickable prototype.

 
 
 
Libby BA 1.png
 
 
 
 
Libby BA 2.png
 
 
 
 
iPhone 8 Copy 3.png
 
 
 

Validation Testing

The final round of validation testing resulted in the following:

 
Pholiyo 5_5 Data.png

users could identify the designated home button

 
Pholiyo 5_5 Data.png

users were able to save a title for future use

 

FINAL THOUGHTS

The Libby case study was my first foray into personal UX projects and it provided incredible insight into the workflow of a solo designer. I was forced to embrace the uncertainty that comes with facilitating guerilla usability testing, a task that really pushed me out of my comfort zone. I also learned about the importance of clear, concise copy. The utilization of fluff terminology in an effort to add character to a product can often times be interpreted as confusing and misleading. These are takeaways that I will surely tap into for future projects.