Literator

A Landing Page ReDesign

Group 3.png
 
 

Background

Literator is an ed tech start up dedicated towards improving reading comprehension education for the elementary school set. By providing a classroom-friendly notes tool and a comprehensive tracking dashboard, Literator aims to take the stress away from documentation so teachers can focus on what’s most important - the kids.

 
 
 
 
 

The Challenge

Redesign both the landing and product pages for Literator in order to increase the overall conversion rate. Originally framed as a visual design project, this piece evolved into a full scale redesign optimizing efficacy.

My Role

UX/Research Lead, facilitating:

User Research/ UX Design/ Content Strategy/ Product Buildout


final Result


The Research Process

 
 
 

Competitor Analysis

With none of us having been teachers in a past life, we hit the ground running by delving into the problem space. We spent hours educating ourselves on our competitors’ strengths and weaknesses, such as:

 
 
Strengths.png
  • sticky navigation

  • clear CTAs

  • direct copy

Weaknesses.png
  • cluttered menus

  • product unclear

  • dry, wordy copy

 
 
 
 

Personas

We created two assumptive personas: an educator and an administrator. We needed to hone in on the needs and goals of each potential decision maker to determine what information should be highlighted on the site.

 
 
 

Comprehension Testing: Round 1

We started off with a round of comprehension testing to get a better sense of the original product.

Through synthesis, we discovered that out of 8 users:

 
 
Pholiyo 1_8 Data.png

believed Literator can aid educators with meeting literacy goals

 
Pholiyo 1_8 Data.png

understood the tool was targeted towards tracking literacy

 
Pholiyo 1_8 Data.png

would request a demo

 
Lofi's P1 V2.png
 
 
 

Wireframes

Having gained some insight into user expectations, we brainstormed a variety of potential wireframes..

We consolidated the landing page ideas into the following wireframe and created an interactive prototype.

Literator Wireframe v2.jpg
 
 

Usability Testing

Through usability testing, we learned that our users had no trouble working their way through the site’s new flow; however, there was still confusion around the product itself.

One user simply stated:

I don’t know what it does. I don’t think it’s interesting enough to require a demo.
 
 
 

Content and Copy

Synthesis proved that the copy on the landing page was simply not clear enough. Although the target user was easily identified by each interviewee, the UVP was not.

After hours of brainstorming and dot voting, we consolidated a streamlined script for both pages.

 
 
 

Hifi’s and Buildout

Our UI team was able to flesh out the page to make it absolutely adorable and inviting through the use of a muted color palette and vibrant illustrations. Once the high-fidelity mockups were approved, we were able to build out both pages.

 
 
 

Comprehension Testing: Round 2

We facilitated a final round of comprehension and discovered that out of 8 users:

Pholiyo 8_8 Data.png

believed Literator can aid educators with meeting literacy goals

 
Pholiyo 6_8 Data.png

understood the tool was targeted towards tracking literacy

 
Pholiyo 7_8 Data.png

would request a demo

 
 

Final Thoughts

I am so thankful to have been able to work on this project. It really taught me the importance of good copy - I learned that it can truly make or break an experience.

This project also taught me how to lead groups through the creative process. Although I started out hesitant, I learned that clear communication, honest collaboration, and distinct deadlines can make all the difference.